Adrenal Fatigue Treatment
Many doctors believe that fasting may make adrenal insufficiency worse. This makes sense, in that lowered blood sugar, lowers muscle glycogen that in turn would lessen the reaction to adrenaline. Therefore we do not encourage anyone with adrenal fatigue to water fast for treatment. Juice fasting on the other hand fasting powerfully assists the glands and organs to regenerate. Recommend period of juice fasting for long-term therapeutic results would be 30 days. The juices can be any mixture of fruits and vegetables.
Adrenal Fatigue Treatment Overview
The adrenal glands are a pair of triangular-shaped organs that rest on top of the kidneys. Each gland normally weighs about 5 grains (slightly less than 1/5 ounce) and is made up of two parts: the cortex, or outer section, which is responsible for the production of cortisone, and the medulla, or central section, which secretes adrenaline.
The adrenal cortex helps to maintain the salt and water balance in the body. It is also involved in the metabolism of carbohydrates and the regulation of blood sugar. In addition, the cortex produces a sex hormone similar to that secreted by the testes.
The adrenal medulla produces the hormone epmeph-rine, also called adrenaline, when the body is under stress-This hormone speeds up the rate of metabolism and produces other physiologic changes designed to help the body cope with danger.
Adrenal Fatigue Symptoms
Reduced adrenal function symptoms can be: weakness, lethargy, dizziness, headaches, memory problems, food cravings, allergies, and blood sugar disorders.
Adrenal Fatigue Possible Causes
The functioning ability of the adrenal glands can be damaged by the extensive use of cortisone therapy such as arthritis and asthma. The long-term use of cortisone drugs causes the adrenal gland to shrink in size. Other cause of Adrenal Fatigue are poor nutritional habits, smoking, and alcohol and drug abuse can contribute to adrenal failure. High cellular toxicity levels caused by chemicals in processed food, contaminated air and water can affect every organ including the adrenals. Unresolved guilt and stress are important factors in “adrenal burnout”. Stress management through keeping a positive mindset will have a sedating, calming effect and reduce adrenal demand.
Adrenal Fatigue Self-Test
Normally, systolic blood pressure (the first number in the measurement of blood pressure—220/80) is approximately 10 points higher when you are standing than when you are lying down. If the adrenal glands are not functioning properly, this may not be the case. Take and compare two blood pressure readings—one while lying down and one while standing. First, lie down and rest for five minutes. Then take your blood pressure.
Nutritional Supplementation for Adrenal Fatigue Treatment
|Vitamin B complex plus extra pantothenic acid (vitamin B5)||100 mg twice daily, 100 mg 3 times daily.||All B vitamins are necessary for adrenal function. The adrenal glands do not function adequately without pantolnenic acid.|
|Vitamin C with bioflavonoids||4,000-10.000 mg daily, in divided doses.||Vital for proper functioning of the adrenals.|
|L-Tyrosine||500 mg daily, on an empty stomach. Take with water or juice. Do not take with milk. Take with 50 mg vitamin Bs and 100 mg vitamin C for better absorption||Aids adrenal gland function and relieves excess stress put on the glands.
Caution: Do not take tyrosine if you are taking an MAO inhibitor drug..
|Raw adrenal and raw adrenal cortex glandulars||As directed on label. As directed on label.||Protein derived from this adrenal gland substance helps to rebuild and repair the adrenal glands.|
|Chlorophyll||As directed on label.||Cleanses the bloodstream.|
|Coenzyme Q10||60 mg daily.||Carries oxygen to all glands.|
|Germanium||100 mg daily.||Enhances immune function.|
|Multivitamin and mineral complex with naturalbeta-carotene and copper
|15,000 IU daily.
3 mg daily.
99 mg daily.
50 mg daily. Do not exceed a total of 100 mg daily from all supplements
|All nutrients are needed to support proper adrenal function.
Use a high-potency formula. If you have diabetes, use a formula without beta-carotene.
Needed to balance with sodium. Potassium is lost with this disorder.
Boosts immune function.
|Raw liver extract||As directed on label.||Supplies natural B vitamins, iron, and enzymes,|
|Raw spleen and raw pituitary glandulars||As directed on label.||Boosts immune function and aids healing process.|
Herbs For Adrenal Fatigue Treatment
These herbs are more effective if taken during juice fasting.
Astragalus: This herb improves adrenal gland function and aids in stress reduction. Caution: Do not use this herb in the presence of a fever.
China Gold: from Aerobic Life Industries is a liquid herbal combination formula that helps to stimulate adrenal function and combat fatigue. It contains ten different varieties of ginseng plus twenty-six other valuable herbs.
Echinacea can increase white blood cell production and protect tissues from bacterial invasion.
Milk thistle extract aids liver function, which in turn helps adrenal function.
Siberian ginseng is an herb that helps the adrenal gland prepare the body for stressful situations.
Caution: Do not use this herb if you have hypoglycemia. high blood pressure, or a heart disorder.
Diet Recommendations For Adrenal Fatigue Treatment
- Consume plenty offreshfruits and vegetables—particularly green leafy ones. Brewer’s yeast, brown rice, legumes, nuts, olive and safflower oils, seeds, wheat germ, and whole grains are healthy additions to the diet as well,
- Eat deep-water ocean fish, salmon, or tuna at least three times a week.
- Include in the diet garlic, onions, shiitake mushrooms, and pearl barley. These foods contain germanium, a powerful stimulant of the immune system.
- Avoid alcohol, caffeine, and tobacco; these substances are highly toxic to the adrenal and other glands-
- Stay away from fats, fried foods/ ham, pork, highly-processed foods, red meats, sodas, sugar, and white flour. These foods put unnecessary stress on the adrenal glands. * Get regular moderate exercise. This stimulates the adrenal glands and also helps to relieve stress.
- As much as possible, avoid stress. Continuous and prolonged stress from a troubled marriage, job-related problems, illness, or feelings of low self-esteem or loneliness can be detrimental to the adrenal glands. Take positive action to relieve stressful situations.
* Adrenocorticotropic hormone (ACTH), a hormone released by the pituitary gland when under stress, sets in motion a sequence of biochemical events that results in the activation of substances that raise blood pressure. The presence of this hormone leads to sodium retention and potassium excretion. As a result of this mechanism, stress not only puts strain on the adrenal glands, but may also cause the body to retain water, which can lead to hypertension.